Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Randolph Co. Courthouse
In June 1808, a committee was appointed to contract the building of a brick courthouse to replace the original log structure on Court Street. This building cost approximately $1200, including $35 for hinges and other ironwork paid to Solomon Collett. The courthouse was completed in 1815, and the wing on the south, which contained the county clerk's office, was completed in 1838. A separate addition on the east side housed the circuit clerk's office.
In 1894, with the new town of Elkins agitating to become the county seat, a large new courthouse was built in Beverly. This new building burned under suspicious circumstances in 1897 and the court records were moved back into the old courthouse. In 1899 Elkins was designated as the county seat, and the records moved there. In later years the building was used as a store.
"These Courts were attended by prominent lawyers from Staunton, Clarksburg, Weston, and elsewhere. Aside from jurors and witnesses, many people gathered from all sections of the county, many of them remaining as long as Court lasted, meeting with old friends and relatives, keeping up old acquaintanceship
Thomas J. Arnold
The 1808 court house is a two-story brick building, three bays by three bays, which originally had similar north and west facades and a bell tower on the roof.
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va. (Marker Number 27.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics.
Location. 38° 50.437′ N, 79° 52.509′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Main Street (U.S. 219), on the right when traveling east on Court Street. Located at stop 27 of the tour of Historic Beverly. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 Court St, Beverly WV 26253, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beverly Bank (a few steps from this marker); Hill Building (a few steps from this marker); Beverly Public Square (a few steps from this marker); Bushrod Crawford Building (a few steps from this marker); Robert Foyles & Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Blackman-Strader (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly (within shouting distance Blackman-Bosworth Store (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beverly.
Also see . . . 1808 Randolph County Courthouse. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 17, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 658 times since then. Last updated on November 4, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. Photos: 1. submitted on November 17, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on November 16, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on November 17, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.