Hempstead in Waller County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Hempstead
Methodism in Hempstead began circa 1857, shortly after the Hempstead town company was founded in December of 1856 to sell lots in the new town. Church histories indicate that an 1859 revival added members to the existing Methodist congregation, and that the congregation had purchased a large building to be adapted for church usage. This building was placed at the corner of 10th and Austin streets. This property was officially conveyed to the Methodist Episcopal Church South on September 17, 1883.
The Methodist Church, along with other early community churches, influenced the rapid growth of Hempstead serving as the primary social institutions and gathering places for both townspeople as well as rural community members.
The church erected several buildings throughout the years, including new sanctuaries in 1860, 1907, a relocation of the 1907 structure to the northeast corner of Ninth and Washington Streets in 1930, and the construction of the current structure, completed in 1957.
The church was originally known as the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and was later called the First Methodist Church. In 1968,
Marker is Property of the State of Texas
Erected 2008 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 14418.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is September 17, 1883.
Location. 30° 5.711′ N, 96° 4.492′ W. Marker is in Hempstead, Texas, in Waller County. Marker is at the intersection of 7th Street and Main Street, on the left when traveling south on 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1010 7th Street, Hempstead TX 77445, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Waller County (approx. ¼ mile away); The Old Courthouse Clock and Bell (approx. ¼ mile away); Hempstead, C.S.A. (approx. ¼ mile away); Former Waller County Post Offices (approx. ¼ mile away); Ahrenbeck-Urban Home (approx. half a mile away); Hempstead High SchoolCaptain Alfred H. Wyly (approx. 0.9 miles away); Plantation Home of Edwin Waller (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hempstead.
Also see . . .
1. Hempstead, Texas at TexasEscapes.com. (Submitted on November 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Methodist Church. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.