Ship Propeller Drive Shaft
This shipbuilding site was known to have state-of-the-art equipment throughout its existence. Recovered from historic Union Iron Works Building 113, this massive drive shaft connected a ship's engine with its propeller, turning it with tremendous force.
Built in 1886, Building 113 (just
south of 20th Street) is one of the
earliest extant structures on site.
From World War II onwards, it
served exclusively as a Machine
Shop, part of the shipyard
Engineering Department. The work
in this building was specific to
fabricating a ship's propulsion and
auxiliary machinery, steerin
apparatus, and piping.
Erected by Union Iron Works Historic District.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 37° 45.741′ N, 122° 23.242′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker can be reached from Illinois Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Francisco CA 94107, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Yard Evolution: New Power and Production (within shouting distance of this marker);
More about this marker. The marker is located within Crane Cove Park, south of Building 49, roughly where 19th Street would be if it ran into the park.
Also see . . . Union Iron Works Historic District. NPGallery: Digital Asset Management System website entry (Submitted on November 5, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.