Berkeley Springs in Morgan County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Hugh Walker, owner of other lots in the town, was one of the early owners. This was the site of the "Blue Goose" saloon in the 1890's and the early 1900's. Wooden rails used on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad before the advent of steel rails were used as joists in the old "Blue Goose" building.
Lot #84: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Hugh Walker, August 25, 1777.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O), and the West Virginia, Berkeley Springs, Town of Bath Lots series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is August 25, 1777.
Location. 39° 37.648′ N, 78° 13.569′ W. Marker is in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, in Morgan County. Marker is on North Mercer Street just north of Congress Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 69 N Mercer St, Berkeley Springs WV 25411, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Blackbourne (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Hugh WalkerFrederick Conrad (within shouting distance of this marker); Berkeley Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); The Industrial North End (within shouting distance of this marker); James Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Tannery vs Hotels (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Ayers (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.