Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
2nd New York Cavalry
2nd Brigade, 2nd Division
— Cavalry Corps —
was engaged in the battles and
skirmishes of the Cavalry Corps
until the Brigade reached
Hanover Junction, June 30, 1863,
when it was moved hastily to
Manchester, to guard trains against
rumored movements of the enemy, and
picketed the surrounding country.
joined 3rd Division in pursuit
of the enemy and participated
in the Cavalry engagements
until the enemy retreated into Virginia
Erected 1892 by State of New York.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 39° 48.525′ N, 77° 14.073′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Pleasonton Avenue and Humphres Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Pleasonton Avenue. Located just north of the Pennsylvania Memorial in Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other 4th New York Cavalry (a few steps from this marker); 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 2d Corps Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); 124th New York Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Cavalry Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); 84th Pennsylvania Infantry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 15th and 50th New York Engineers (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
Also see . . . 2nd New York Cavalry. Service history of regiment. (Submitted on February 8, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,014 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 8, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.