Navasota in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
George Washington Carver High School
Around 1865, Reverend J.J. Reinhart established the Navasota Colored School for African American students. After several buildings were destroyed by fire, a brick building was built in 1942. A few years later, the school became officially known as George Washington Carver High School. After Navasota High School fully integrated in 1968, the building served as an elementary and later middle school until 1974. In August 1996, the building reopened as the Carver Learning Center for Alternative Education. In 2008, the School District deeded the building to the School's Alumni Association. It now serves as the Carver Community Center for tutorials, summer camps, and other events.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18780.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education.
Location. 30° 22.539′ N, 96° 4.913′ W. Marker is in Navasota, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1602 LaSalle Street, Navasota TX 77868, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lee Tabernacle Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Navasota (approx. 0.8 miles away); The First Baptist Church of Navasota (approx. 0.9 miles away); Frank Augustus Hamer (approx. 0.9 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Navasota (approx. 0.9 miles away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Old First National Bank of Navasota (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Lewis J. Wilson Building (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Navasota.
Also see . . . George Washington Carver - Namesake of school. Wikipedia (Submitted on November 7, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.