Navasota in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lee Tabernacle Methodist Church
This Methodist Congregation was founded in 1860, and worshipped with the Baptist Church in shared facilities in Navasota. A church building was erected in 1866 in what was called "Freeman's Town". The Methodist group was formally organized in 1876, and built a separate facility a few years later.
This church building was erected in 1896. During construction, services were held in the basement until the sanctuary was finished. When the structure was completed, the congregation changed its name to honor the pastor at that time, the Rev. Edward Lee, becoming the Lee Tabernacle Methodist Church.
Interior modifications have occurred over the years, including the restoration of the stained glass windows, the addition of a choir room and general remodeling, but the exterior remains essentially intact. A parsonage was added to accommodate the pastor.
This church structure is a fine example of a Gothic Revival Design, featuring arched windows, a tower entry, stained glass windows, double wood paneled doors, and a gabled roof.
The Lee Tabernacle Methodist Church continues to serve its dedicated members as it has
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8598.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 30° 23.038′ N, 96° 5.128′ W. Marker is in Navasota, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is at the intersection of South LaSalle Street (State Highway 6B) and Teague Street, on the left when traveling north on South LaSalle Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Navasota TX 77868, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Lt. Gov. George D. Neal (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Navasota (approx. ¼ mile away); Frank Augustus Hamer (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Baptist Church of Navasota (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Navasota (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington Avenue (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Leake Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Navasota.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.