Navasota in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The First Baptist Church of Navasota
In the spring of 1860, six men formed this church, one of the first of any faith in the railroad town of Navasota. By fall there were 52 members, and growth continued. Services were held in the town's schoolhouse, and then in a Methodist church, until the Baptists received a site as a gift from the Houston & Texas Central Railway and built a small frame sanctuary about 1872. A permanent edifice of native stone was started after Mrs A.E. Baten, wife of the pastor, drew plans in 1889. Funds came from members and non-members, sometimes as donations of cattle, and a 46'x 67'x 37'x 67' stone building with a steeple was completed in 1890. By 1925 more room was needed; a 2-story annex was constructed. Although a new, larger sanctuary was erected in 1955, the 1890 building is still used. In 1969, it was converted into a fellowship hall and after a disastrous fire the next year was restored in 1971.
The congregation - now numbering more than 900 members founded and financed one local mission that became self-supporting, and now underwrites another. During the church's first 116 years, it has been served by 35 pastors.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 30° 23.279′ N, 96° 5.095′ W. Marker is in Navasota, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and Holland Street, on the right when traveling north on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Church Street, Navasota TX 77868, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church of Navasota (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Navasota (about 400 feet away); The Terrell House (about 700 feet away); Joseph Brooks Home (about 800 feet away); Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle (about 800 feet away); Site of Freeman Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Lt. Gov. George D. Neal (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Navasota.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.