Oliver Springs in Roane County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Guerillas and Foragers
War in Oliver Springs
At different times during the war, Union and Confederate authorities used the Oliver Inn, which was located a mile and a half south of here, as a hospital. Fortunately for the town's postwar resurgence, the springs continued to attract visitors. The inn was sold to a succession of owners before burning down in 1892. Investors built a grand hotel in 1895 at the springs a mile away to provide high quality accommodations to guests from far and wide. Accessible by rail since the 1880s, Oliver Springs became a nationally popular attraction for visitors
Drawn to the nearby mineral springs, settlers established the town of Oliver Springs, named for landowner and postmaster Richard Oliver (1800-1861). Oliver bought hundreds of acres in this area to capitalize on the appeal of the springs' medicinal qualities. About 1830 he built a 35-room brick inn near the present-day Norwood Middle School. By 1860, his personal estate was valued at a vast $17,450. He died on May 31, 1861, as the war begun.
Foraging for hay - Courtesy Library of Congress
Confederate raiders, Century Magazine (ca. 1880)
"Mountain Region of North Carolina and Tennessee", 1864 - Courtesy Library of Congress
Guerillas meeting with scouts Courtesy Tennessee State Library & Archives
Oliver Springs - Oliver Springs Historical Society
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 36° 2.712′ N, 84° 20.715′ W. Marker is in Oliver Springs, Tennessee, in Roane County. Marker is at the intersection of Walker Avenue and Winter Gap Road, on the left when traveling west on Walker Avenue. Marker is located in front of the Oliver Springs Public Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Walker Ave, Oliver Springs TN 37840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Southern Railroad X574 (within shouting distance of this marker); Ticket Booth (within shouting distance of this marker); O.S. Engine #2 (within shouting distance of this marker); L&N Cowcreel Branch (within shouting distance of this marker); The Emery Road (approx. 5 miles away); Y-12 – The Calutron Plant (approx. 5.4 miles away); 1948 (approx. 5.4 miles away); Manhattan Engineer District – USAEC (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oliver Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 8, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.