Navasota in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Navasota
The first worship services of the Methodist Church in Navasota were held in 1853 in the community schoolhouse. The Rev. T.W. Blake served as part - time pastor for most of the Antebellum and Civil War years.
In 1866 the Houston & Texas Central Railroad deeded land at this site for use by the Methodist Congregation. In that year, a frame building with shuttered windows was constructed for the fellowship. It was named Robert Alexander Chapel in honor of an early Methodist Circuit Rider in Texas. The Chapel also was used by Navasota's Presbyterian congregation. In 1891 a rock building replaced the frame structure and was used until 1912, when a brick sanctuary was built. The current sanctuary was completed in 1959.
Although the size of the congregation is relatively small when compared with that of other churches in the area, the First United Methodist Church of Navasota has served as host to the Texas Annual Conference of Methodist Churches.
Throughout its history, this congregation has provided significant service and leadership to the community and has continued to uphold the ideals and traditions of its pioneer
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8575.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 23.313′ N, 96° 5.02′ W. Marker is in Navasota, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is at the intersection of Holland Street and South Brewer Street, on the right when traveling east on Holland Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 616 Holland Street, Navasota TX 77868, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Baptist Church of Navasota (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Site of Freeman Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Navasota (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frank Augustus Hamer (approx. ¼ mile away); Lee Tabernacle Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mickelborough Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Navasota.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.