Navasota in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Paul's Episcopal Church
In 1864, Bishop Alexander Gregg organized an Episcopal Mission in Navasota that became a Parish in 1866. Originally known as the Church of the Holy Comforter, it was renamed in 1870, when the church building from St. Paul's in Washington (7 mi. Sw) was acquired and relocated to Navasota on land donated by the Houston and Texas Central railway. The congregation completed a new church building in 1891. Throughout its history, St. Paul's has been actively involved in the community with worship, education, and outreach programs.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8612.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 23.309′ N, 96° 5.158′ W. Marker is in Navasota, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is at the intersection of McAlpine Street and Church Street, on the left when traveling east on McAlpine Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 414 McAlpine Street, Navasota TX 77868, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Baptist Church of Navasota (about 400 feet away, measured Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Navasota (about 400 feet away); Site of Freeman Inn (about 600 feet away); Frank Augustus Hamer (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Navasota (about 700 feet away); Mickelborough Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lewis J. Wilson Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Navasota.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 3. submitted on November 9, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.