Elkhart in Logan County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Southeast at this site, on Elkhart Hill, is the mansion "Oglehurst", home and burial place of Richard J. Oglesby (1824-1899), three times elected Governor of the State of Illinois (1864, 1872, 1884). Ten days following his second inauguration he was elected United States Senator by the Illinois legislature and served in that capacity until 1879. Governor Oglesby moved to Elkhart in 1890, following his retirement from public life.
Another prominent Elkhart resident was John Dean Gillett (1819-1883), one of the cattle kings of the prairies. A New Englander by birth, he came to Logan County in 1838. Through his skill in the raising and feeding of cattle, his name became a byword for superior quality beef in both this country and in England. At the time of his death, Gillett's land holdings totaled more than
Captain Adam H. Bogardus (1833-1913), wildfowl market hunter, conservationist and champion wingshot, made his home for many years in Elkhart. In 1878, he defeated Aubrey Coventry, English champion wingshot, 79 to 78. Returning to the United States, Bogardus toured with the William "Buffalo Bill" Cody's "The Wild West."
Erected 1963 by Illinois State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list.
Location. 40° 1.209′ N, 89° 29.528′ W. Marker is in Elkhart, Illinois, in Logan County. Marker is on Kennedy Road (County Route 10) 0.2 miles east of Interstate 55, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 330 Kennedy Rd, Elkhart IL 62634, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Lincoln With John Dean Gillett (approx. half a mile away); Heritage Corner (approx. half a mile away); Lincoln-Latham-Douglas at the Kentucky House (approx. half a mile away); Route 66 in Elkhart (approx. half a mile away); 1917 Krupp K-14 Light Artillery Cannon (approx. 0.6 miles away); Elkhart Public Library (approx. 0.6 miles away); Elkhart Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkhart.
More about this marker. According to the Illinois State Historical Society's website, the marker was dedicated on July 3, 1963.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 8, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.