Navasota in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Eliza Johnson (d.1876) had this building constructed in 1874 following a fire which destroyed several structures on the block. It was made of limestone rubble to comply with a city ordinance requiring all new construction to include fireproof materials. August Horst (d.1920), a local investor bought the property in 1877 and sold it two years later to his wife's brothers. E.P. and J.H. Mickelborough. Members of their families owned it until 1929. The building has housed a saloon, grocery, confectionery, ice cream parlor, and offices for Attorneys and Dentists.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8601.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 30° 23.273′ N, 96° 5.369′ W. Marker is in Navasota, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is at the intersection of East Washington Avenue (State Highway 105) and Brule Drive, on the right when traveling west on East Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 East Washington Avenue, Navasota TX 77868, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are The Lewis J. Wilson Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old First National Bank of Navasota (about 400 feet away); Frank Augustus Hamer (about 600 feet away); Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Navasota (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Freeman Inn (approx. Ό mile away); The First Baptist Church of Navasota (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Navasota.
Also see . . . Navasota History. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 10, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.