Navasota in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Lewis J. Wilson Building
A native of Connecticut Lewis J. Wilson (1832–1895) moved with his parents to Grimes County in 1851. His father Samuel opened a general merchandise business in Anderson. Lewis managed the store until 1861 when he left to serve in the Civil War. After the war he returned to Anderson and opened a mercantile store in partnership with W.R. Howell and John Quincy Yarborough. They completed construction of this brick building in 1871 for a second establishment. Wilson was the sole proprietor by 1881 and continued to manage the business until his death.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8625.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 30° 23.243′ N, 96° 5.42′ W. Marker is in Navasota, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is at the intersection of West Washington Avenue (State Highway 105) and 10th Street, on the right when traveling west on West Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Washington Avenue, Navasota TX 77868, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within The Old First National Bank of Navasota (within shouting distance of this marker); Mickelborough Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frank Augustus Hamer (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle (approx. Ό mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Navasota (approx. Ό mile away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. Ό mile away); Site of Freeman Inn (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First Baptist Church of Navasota (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Navasota.
Also see . . . Navasota History. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 10, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.