Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Atlacomulco in Municipality of Atlacomulco, Estado de Mexico, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Traditional Shops and Pharmacies of Atlacomulco

 
 
Traditional Shops and Pharmacies of Atlacomulco Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 25, 2020
1. Traditional Shops and Pharmacies of Atlacomulco Marker
Inscription.  

Antiguos y Tradicionales Comercios y Boticas
Ubicación: Callejón Vicente Guerrero No. 101,
Col. Centro. Atlacomulco Estado de México.

Dimensiones: 5 m x 33.66 m
Descripción: este mural nos recuerda el "Tío Pepe", restaurante que dio servicio durante muchos años, cuya final propietaria fue la señora Berthita Varas de Valdez, lugar donde los jóvenes y las parejas acudían a tomarse un café y dedicarse canciones en la rocola y los visitantes disfrutaban los ricos y tradicionales platillos de la región.

En la calle ATA vivió un personaje que trascendió: doña Glafira Nieto, mejor conocida como la “Tía Fira" quien se dedicó por años a la elaboración de pulque, la esencia del maguey, que hasta después de mediados del siglo veinte fue muy demandado en estas tierras.

La famosa y legendaria tienda “La Casa Blanca", propiedad de Don Rafael Cárdenas Rueda, Conocida por la venta de su rico pan, cocoles de anís, conchas y cuernitos de sal. La Botica y Farmacia “Guadalupana", que abre sus puertas en 1948, a cargo de Don Manuel González y su hija "Marico", además de dar
Traditional Shops and Pharmacies of Atlacomulco Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 25, 2020
2. Traditional Shops and Pharmacies of Atlacomulco Marker
The marker can be seen here under the archway, with the mural seen along the wall.
servicio con el primer dispensario de la Cruz Roja y años más tarde frente a esta Botica se contaba con el primer y único servicio de transporte público de turismos de primera clase con destino a Toluca y México. El único molino de nixtamal de Don Nicolás Vélez, el cual empezó a trabajar el 12 de Noviembre de 1934, ofreciendo también al público: abarrotes, artículos de mercería y tlapalería. La tienda Nueva" de Don Isaías Monroy Cruz, una de las más surtidas de su época, donde por iniciativa de Don Isidro Fabela se introdujo por vez primera el teléfono en Atlacomulco, el 7 de abril de 1945.

Una de las casas más emblemáticas de Atlacomulco que mantiene su diseño original de los años de 1800. Fue propiedad de la Familia González Fabela y ahí Nació y vivió el Bacteriólogo Nicolás González Fabela. Hace poco tiempo fue declarada patrimonio de la Nación. En esta casa, que pertenece a la familia Mercado, se vendía leche y sus derivados. Actualmente en su costado poniente, da vida al mural que nos ocupa, mismo que en el penúltimo cuadro, muestra a miembros de esta familia, y en el último arco, coronado por geranios, nos da una visión nocturna de su portal y parte de la catedral.

Año: 2013
Pintora: Maria del Rosario Martinez Magaña
Primera restauración en 2018.- A través del Programa de Desarrollo Cultural Municipal (PDCM).

English
Traditional Shops and Pharmacies of Atlacomulco Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 25, 2020
3. Traditional Shops and Pharmacies of Atlacomulco Marker
This view includes the traditional building described in the marker text.
translation:

Traditional Shops and Pharmacies of Atlacomulco
Location: Vicente Guerrero Alley No. 101,
Colonial Center, Atlacomulco, State of Mexico.

Dimensions: 5 m x 33.66 m
Description: This mural reminds us of "Uncle Pepe", a restaurant that functioned here for many years, whose final owner was Mrs. Berthita Varas de Valdez, where young people and couples came to have a coffee and dedicate songs in the jukebox and visitors enjoyed the rich and traditional dishes of the region.

On ATA Street lived a character that was very well known: Ms. Glafira Nieto, better known as "Aunt Fira," who devoted herself for years to the elaboration of pulque, the essence of the maguey, which until after the middle of the twentieth century was much demanded in these lands.

The famous and legendary shop known as "La Casa Blanca", owned by Rafael Cárdenas Rueda, was known for selling its rich bread, anise and coconut candies, and other traditional delights. The Guadalupana Pharmacy, which opened its doors in 1948, run by Manuel González and his daughter "Marico", in addition to being the first dispensary of the Red Cross, years later this was the first and only public transport service of first class passenger buses to Toluca and Mexico City. The only nixtamal mill was that of Nicolás Vélez, which began working on November 12, 1934. Also here were
A portion of the mural showing the Mercado family, mentioned in the marker text image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 25, 2020
4. A portion of the mural showing the Mercado family, mentioned in the marker text
sold to the public: groceries and articles of haberdashery and hardware. Nearby was the New Store owned by Isaías Monroy Cruz, one of the most popular of its time, where on the initiative of Isidro Fabela the phone was first introduced in Atlacomulco on April 7, 1945.

Here is one of the most emblematic houses of Atlacomulco that maintains its original design of the 1800s. It was owned by the González Fabela family and there the bacteriologist Nicolás González Fabela was born and lived. It was recently declared a part of the nation's heritage. In this house, which belongs to the Mercado family, milk and its derivatives were sold. Currently on its west side, it gives life to the mural that is described here. In its second-to-last painting are shown the members of this family. In the last arch, crowned by geraniums, a night vision of its portal and a part of the cathedral are pictured.

Year: 2013
Painter: Maria del Rosario Martinez Magaña
First restoration in 2018 - Through the Municipal Cultural Development Program (PDCM).
 
Erected 2013 by Programa de Desarrollo Cultural Municipal (PDCM).
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsIndustry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles.
 
Location. 19° 48.011′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
N, 99° 52.425′ W. Marker is in Atlacomulco, Estado de Mexico, in Municipality of Atlacomulco. Marker is at the intersection of Avenida José María Morelos and Vicente Guerrero, on the right when traveling west on Avenida José María Morelos. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlacomulco, Estado de Mexico 50450, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Octaviano González Fabela (here, next to this marker); Professor Roberto Barrios Castro (within shouting distance of this marker); Ambaro (within shouting distance of this marker); Atlacomulco (within shouting distance of this marker); Benefactors of Atlacomulco (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Isidro Fabela (about 180 meters away); Alfredo del Mazo (about 180 meters away); Adolfo López Mateos (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlacomulco.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 10, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 18, 2021