Prairie Lea in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Prairie Lea United Methodist Church
In 1853, five years after the organization of Caldwell County, a Methodist Church was organized in the Prairie Lea community. Heads of the four charter families were George Francis and Pendleton Rector, veterans of the Battle of San Jacinto; early settler W.F. Happle, on whose land was established one of the first cemeteries in the area; and Dr. James Fentress, a veteran of the Indian Battle of Plum Creek (1840) and the man for whom the nearby town of Fentress is named.
Early worship services were held in the area's first schoolhouse. From 1854 until 1871, the congregation met in the Prairie Lea Academy building. In 1871 area pioneer Thomas Mooney and his sons -- William Daniel, Samuel Lafayette, and John Keener -- deeded land at this site for the construction of a sanctuary, trustees were George Francis, Joseph Francis, Wesley Francis, Pendleton Rector, Leroy McLeod, J.J. Smith, Albert C. Johnson, Joseph McCord, and William Happle. The present sanctuary is the second one built on this site.
Pastors who have served the Prairie Lea Methodist Church include noted pioneer Methodist Minister Andrew Jackson Potter and the
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14401.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 43.801′ N, 97° 45.131′ W. Marker is in Prairie Lea, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker is at the intersection of San Marcos Highway (State Highway 8p) and Market Street, on the left when traveling north on San Marcos Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Prairie Lea TX 78661, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rafael Rios No. 1 (approx. 1.7 miles away); Camp Clark, C.S.A. (approx. 6.3 miles away); William Johnson Cabin (approx. 7.1 miles away); Edgar B. Davis (approx. 7.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Luling (approx. 7.1 miles away); Zedler's Mills (approx. 7.4 miles away); Humphreys Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); Edmund P. Kuempel Rest Area (approx. 8˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.