Ridgeville Corners in Henry County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Giffey Hall was built in 1916 by Anton Giffey. The bricks used in its construction were undoubtedly made from the clay dug from near the Giffey Tile and Brickyard furnaces. In 1937 Emile (Mrs. Paul) Miller received the hall from her father. The hall was used for plays, wedding receptions and basketball games (prior to RHS's gym built in 38-'39). However, in many people's remembrance Giffey Hall was the roller skating capital of NW Ohio. Also during this time frame, the basement, which still had a dirt floor, was used by a green tomato buyer from Chicago, which afforded area farmers an outlet for their tomatoes: In 1954 Charles Murphy bought the hall and continued managing roller-skating. wedding receptions, and dances.
In 1965 Giffey Hall was sold to Sheridan Mfg. Co. who in 1967 merged with the Sheller Manufacturing Co. to become Sheller Globe Corp. They installed machinery in the hall.
However, in 1973 Ridgeville Recreation Inc. purchased the hall and once again it was used for wedding receptions and dances. It was also used for antique shows. and October Fests. During this ownership a potentially dangerous
In 1983 Elizabeth Zuber bought the hall and used it primarily for wedding receptions and public dances. The Maumee Valley Pool League held tournaments, which were a popular draw after 1991 when Pamela Hartly became the owner. She renamed it the 1916 Saloon and added a bar and restaurant.
In 1999, the Archbold Community Theater bought the building and planned to use it as a storage facility. but soon decided it could be utilized for their theater productions. In December 1999 the group held their first play which even included a Dinner Theater. ACT's first play was highly complimented by those who attended it so great expectations are held for their continued presence here.
Erected by Henry County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 41° 26.241′ N, 84° 15.452′ W. Marker is in Ridgeville Corners, Ohio, in Henry County. Marker is on County Road X just from U.S. 6, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20369 Co Rd X, Ridgeville Corners OH 43555, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies . Ridgeville Corners War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Draining the Great Black Swamp (approx. 2.4 miles away); David K. Aeschliman Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Village Of Archbold (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Ohio Art Company (approx. 6.3 miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 7 miles away); Civil War Camp Latty (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgeville Corners.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.