Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Turtle Creek School and Cemetery
This schoolhouse and nearby burial ground originally served the pioneer settlers of the Turtle Creek area. The oldest marked grave is that of Miles L. Denton (1857 - 75). Also buried in the cemetery is Susan Elizabeth Bird (1866 - 87), the wife of J. Fisher Bird who patented the survey. Continuously used as a voting place since 1885, this property was obtained by School Trustees in 1892 through a land trade with James Spicer. Classes were held here until 1958. Area residents bought the site in 1977 for the benefit of the community.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5576.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Education.
Location. 29° 58.484′ N, 99° 13.213′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is at the intersection of Upper Turtle Creek Road (Farm to Market Road 1273) and Canyon Road, on the left when traveling west on Upper Turtle Creek Road. The marker and school are located across the street Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gus F. Schreiner Home (approx. 6.1 miles away); Gatlin Site (approx. 6.4 miles away); Kerrville First United Methodist Church (approx. 6˝ miles away); Mary Ann Kent Byas Chambers Morriss (approx. 6.6 miles away); Old Spanish Trail (approx. 6.7 miles away); Starkey Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Nichols Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Christian Dietert Mill (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.