The Susquehanna & Tidewater Canal
North America's vast network of rivers provided Native Americans and European settlers alike with their earliest transportation routes. Early in the nineteenth century with overland routes only crudely developed and railroads not yet spanning the continent, rivers continued as the most practical way to transport goods and people.
However, not all rivers were navigable, and even those that were often has stretches of water where rocky shoals or other hazards made navigation difficult. Beginning in 1794, American entrepreneurs built a network of canals with government help. These canals stretched to over 4,000 miles long and linked the great waterways east of the Mississippi.
The Susquehanna (Pennsylvania section) and Tidewater (Maryland section) Canal was completed in 1841. Horses and mules plodded the towpath, pulling boats, which typically carried coal, lumber, iron, limestone, bricks, millstones, marble, coffee, grain, fish, salt, or passengers. The route covered 45 miles along the west shore of the Susquehanna River between Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, and Havre de Grace, Maryland. Most of the goods or passengers were headed to
Never a financial success, the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal was leased to the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad in 1872. Floods, ice flows, economic depression, and competition from railroads spelled the end of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal. It was finally abandoned in 1894.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal series list.
Location. 39° 48.015′ N, 76° 18.485′ W. Marker is in Lower Chanceford Township, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker can be reached from River Road. Marker is just north of Muddy Creek Access parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 534 Johnson Rd, Delta PA 17314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Locks (here, next to this marker); The Canal Community (within shouting distance of this marker); The Canal Boats (within shouting distance of this marker); Lock No. 12 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Survivor of the Past (approx. 1˝ miles away); Welsh Slate Quarrymens' Cottages at Coulsontown
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2020, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on November 11, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.