Kingston in Roane County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Southwest Point
1792 - 1807
A military post established in the Territory of the United States South of the River Ohio by General John Sevier under command of Captain John McClelland to protect the settlers and travelers from the Indians.
William Blount, Governor ceded, October 27, 1805 by the Cherokees to the United States.
Erected 1936 by Southwest Point Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 12, 1936.
Location. 35° 51.646′ N, 84° 31.681′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Tennessee, in Roane County. Marker can be reached from South Kentucky Street (Tennessee Route 58), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1226 South Kentucky Street, Kingston TN 37763, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lewis and Clark Expedition (a few steps from this marker); Blockhouse #10 (within shouting Soldier’s Barracks #5 (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Southwest Point (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Southwest Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Privy 9 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Federal Fort in Tennessee (about 300 feet away); Carpenter and Tack Building #7 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.