Kingston in Roane County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Lewis and Clark Expedition
and Fort Southwest Point
The Lewis and Clark Expedition and Fort Southwest Point
The Lewis and Clark Expedition (1804-06) was conceived by President Thomas Jefferson to be an exploration of discovery through the West and on to the Pacific Ocean. The purposes of the Expedition were to search for an all-water route across the West and to describe the land recently purchased from France, the Louisiana Purchase. The Expedition was an Army military mission commanded by Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark and manned by soldiers, most of whom were to be recruited from Army posts in the West.
Captain Meriwether Lewis’ initial plans were to travel overland to Fort Southwest Point in 1803, recruit his core group of soldiers from there, and march them west on the Avery Trace to Nashville. At Nashville, he planned to take possession of a previously ordered keelboat, float down the Cumberland River to the Ohio River, continue westward to the Mississippi River and then north to the mouth of the Missouri River near St. Louis.
These plans changed with Lewis deciding to travel overland to Pittsburgh and float down the Ohio river in a keelboat
Four of the Fort Southwest Point recruits were selected for the Expedition – Corporal Richard Warfington, and Privates Hugh Hall, Thomas P. Howard and John Potts. All four soldiers gave outstanding service and contributed to the success of the Expedition. The three privates were selected for the Permanent Party that traveled to the Pacific Ocean in 1805 and returned to St. Louis in 1806. Corporal Warfington was placed in command of the Return Party that traveled back to St. Louis in the keelboat in the spring of 1805 carrying a priceless cargo – the Captains’ journals up to that time, a first draft of Clark’s map of the West, plant, animal and mineral specimens 9including live birds and a prairie dog), and 45 Indian chiefs who accepted the invitation to visit President Jefferson in Washington.
After the Expedition all four Southwest Point soldiers were awarded land grants for their outstanding service.
Erected by Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage Foundation from the Lewis and Clark Trail Stewardship Endowment.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Forts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, and the Lewis & Clark Expedition series lists.
Location. 35° 51.65′ N, 84° 31.684′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Tennessee, in Roane County. Marker can be reached from South Kentucky Street (Tennessee Route 58), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1226 South Kentucky Street, Kingston TN 37763, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Southwest Point (a few steps from this marker); Blockhouse #10 (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Southwest Point (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Southwest Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldier’s Barracks #5 (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Federal Fort in Tennessee (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Privy 9 (about 300 feet away); Fort Privy 12 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.