New Colony in Cass County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Formed from Bowie County land. Created April 25, 1846; organized July 13, 1846. Named in honor of Gen. Lewis Cass (1782-1866). United States soldier and statesman, a strong advocate of annexation of Texas. Important river port city of Jefferson was county seat until Marion County was carved out of Cass in 1860; Linden, near center of county, then became county seat. During wave of sectional patriotism in 1861, the name Cass was changed to "Davis", in honor of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederate states. The original name was restored in 1871.
Erected 1971 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 9811.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 33° 3.683′ N, 94° 16.483′ W. Marker is in New Colony, Texas, in Cass County. Marker is on US-59 South, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Linden TX 75563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 15 milesLaws Chapel Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Law's Chapel (approx. 3.7 miles away); Bessie Coleman (approx. 7.3 miles away); Atlanta Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away); Dr. M.D.K. Taylor (approx. 13.4 miles away); John Robin Heard Cemetery (approx. 14.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. 3. submitted on November 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.