Conewago Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Conewago Chapel Bell
When the church was constructed in 1787, there was only a weather vane on the roof.
In 1830, a cupola was built, and a bell cast in 1816 in Belgium and weighing 300 pounds was installed. This bell was removed in 1891, sent first to Frederick, MD, then in 1907 was installed at St. Andrew on the Hudson Jesuit Novitiate, Hyde Park, NY, now The Culinary Institute of America.
On June 21, 1891, this 2000 pound bell in honor of St. Aloysius Gonzaga was blessed and installed. Over the years a crack developed, which altered the sound, and it was removed on March 14, 1984. On that same day, the present "Bicentennial" bell, same size, was installed after it was blessed by Bishop William H. Keeler on March 11, 1984, named St. George in honor of Bishop George L. Leech.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Communications. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list.
Location. 39° 49.126′ N, 77° 2.293′ W. Marker is in Conewago Township, PennsylvaniaTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 Basilica Dr, Hanover PA 17331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conewago Chapel (here, next to this marker); Stones from the Mass House (within shouting distance of this marker); Patrick McSherry (approx. 1.4 miles away); John Timon Reily (approx. 1.4 miles away); Destruction of Private Property (approx. 2.9 miles away); In Memory and in Grateful Recognition of (approx. 2.9 miles away); History of the Ten Commandments Monolith (approx. 3 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conewago Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.