Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church of Junction

 
 
First United Methodist Church of Junction Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, October 31, 2020
1. First United Methodist Church of Junction Marker
Inscription.  

Early Junction residents built brush arbors for religious meetings and by the 1870s, the city had an active Methodist Society, which hosted traveling ministers such as the fiery "Fighting Parson" Andrew Jackson Potter. The Junction Methodists became a Mission Church of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South in 1881. Members built a sanctuary and parsonage in 1889 and the congregation continued to grow. Gov. Coke R. Stevenson, who grew up in the congregation, served on the building committee for the church's 1930 spanish mission-style sanctuary today, the Church continues to be a center for worship, education and community activity.
 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13465.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 30° 29.366′ N, 99° 46.206′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (County Highway 481) and North 9th Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street
First United Methodist Church of Junction and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, October 31, 2020
2. First United Methodist Church of Junction and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 902 Main Street, Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. College Street Church of Christ (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Junction (approx. 0.2 miles away); Masonic Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Junction Eagle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Rock Store, 1879 (approx. ¼ mile away); Major William Addison Spencer (approx. ¼ mile away); Kimble County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Early History of Kimble County (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
 
Also see . . .
1. "Fighting Parson" Andrew Jackson Potter. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

2. Coke Stevenson, LBJ and Box 13. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on November 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
First United Methodist Church of Junction Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, October 31, 2020
3. First United Methodist Church of Junction Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021