Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
College Street Church of Christ
In 1880, A.J. Bush arrived in this community, which was then called Junction City. Here he led 17 men and women in forming a Church of Christ. Two years later, after initially holding services in the County Courthouse, members of the growing Church built their first sanctuary. In 1883, John S. Durst began his 42-year tenure as the Church's minister. On this site in 1890, members constructed a new building, which was replaced by the current building in 1929. For more than a century, the Church of Christ has participated in numerous service projects and remains an integral part of Junction's religious community.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13292.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
Location. 30° 29.291′ N, 99° 46.177′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is at the intersection of College Street and South 9th Street, on the left when traveling west on College Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 815 College Street, Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other First United Methodist Church of Junction (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Junction (about 500 feet away); Masonic Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Rock Store, 1879 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of First Livery Stable (approx. 0.2 miles away); O.C. Fisher (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kimble County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early History of Kimble County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Also see . . . Church of Christ. Wikipedia (Submitted on November 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.