Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Junction
In 1880, several local residents met at the Courthouse to organize a Baptist Church. The Rev. Z.M. Wells, pastor at Menardville (Menard), led the group and continued conducting services monthly. Four years later the Courthouse burned, and Junction residents erected a community church building, used on a rotating basis. In 1887, the Baptist congregation built a white, frame sanctuary on this site. Members built a spanish-style building here in 1929 and then a brick structure in 1959. As the church has grown, it has also added other facilities. Over the years, members have served the community through mission work, worship, music and service programs.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13276.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 29.222′ N, 99° 46.129′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is at the intersection of South 8th Street and Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on South 8th StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 South 8th Street, Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. College Street Church of Christ (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Rock Store, 1879 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of First Livery Stable (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Junction (approx. 0.2 miles away); Masonic Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); O.C. Fisher (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kimble County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early History of Kimble County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Also see . . . Baptist General Convention of Texas. Wikipedia (Submitted on November 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.