Sanford in Midland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Agnes Catholic Church
Property was purchased for a church in Sanford on February 27, 1895. The property, located on Smith Road, was the site of the church for more than 60 years. The main body of the church of St. Agnes was finished in 1897, with the first Mass celebrated in October of the same year. In 1907 the steeple was added.
The Catholic Church was located on this site (next to the Sanford School) from 1897 to the early 1960s when it was torn down. In fact, the church was here before the school house was built in 1910.
The church was enlarged by adding to the sanctuary and also a sacristy during the fall and winter of 1916. In 1917, the interior was remodeled. Now located on West River Road, the Our Lady of Grace Parish (St. Agnes) building was built in 1959. The church building located here was torn down in the 1960s. The merry-go-round at Founders Day each year sits about on the church site in front of the Olson Store.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is February 27, 1895.
Location. 43° 40.566′ N, 84° 23.29′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sanford MI 48657, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Olson Store (here, next to this marker); Depot (a few steps from this marker); Sanford Centennial Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Sanford Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Felix School (within shouting distance of this marker); Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Clare Bailey Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.