Star Hall History
Star Hall is the oldest public building in Moab that is still in use. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was constructed in 1905-1906 by the local Mormon community to serve as a social and cultural center.
The exterior of the building is considered one of the finest examples of an architectural style called "Richardson Romanesque," building that are rough-hewn versions of more elaborate structures created by Henry Hobson Richardson in New England.
The building opened in May, 1906, with a "musical entertainment" organized by the Busy Women's Club to raise money for the victims of the San Francisco earthquake. At the time, the building had no name, but within six months it was referred to as The Star Opera House.
In the next two decades the "Opera house" was home to a variety of theatrical presentations, musical events, dances, meetings, political rallies, lectures, poetry readings and other public entertainments. Starting in 1907, the Shafer Brothers began to advertise and promote Star Hall to traveling shows. With a capacity of 500 and a gas-lit auditorium and stage, it was described as "the best equipped
In 1925, the LDS Church sold the building for $1 to the Grand County School District, which changed the building's name to Star Hall. Over the next thirty years, the School District used the facility many ways: for classrooms, as a venue for basketball games, and finally for shop and woodworking classes.
By the 1960's, Star Hall had fallen into disrepair and was almost razed. After much public debate, the School Board used funds from a bond issue to renovate the structure and return it to its original use as a place for public entertainment. Among other improvements, a raked floor was installed. Opening night of the "new" Star Hall was May 23, 1968, with local students offering a presentation of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Oklahoma.
Since that reopening, the hall has once again served as a performance center for plays, music, ceremonies, films, and meetings. Both audiences and performers praise Star Hall for its acoustics and intimacy.
In 1998, ownership of Star Hall was transferred from the School District to Grand County. A committee of local arts organizations - including the Moab Community Theatre, Moab Music Festival, and Moab Folk Festival—serves as an advisory group.
Thanksto the initiatives of many community members, the exterior of the building was repaired and restored in the late 1990's and, in 2006-2007, the interior was renovated as part of Star Hall's Centennial Celebration.
Erected by Grand County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Education • Entertainment. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1906.
Location. 38° 34.407′ N, 109° 32.868′ W. Marker is in Moab, Utah, in Grand County. Marker is on Center Street west of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 159 East Center Street, Moab UT 84532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Star Hall (here, next to this marker); The Old Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Moab L.D.S. Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Early L.D.S. Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Elk Mountain Mission (within shouting distance of this marker); Scott M. Matheson (approx. 1.2 miles away); Grand Old Ranch House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Moab Utah UMTRA Project (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moab.
Also see . . .
1. Star Hall National Register Registration Form . (Submitted on November 14, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Star Hall. (Submitted on November 14, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Star Hall at Facebook. (Submitted on November 14, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.