Alderson in Greenbrier County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Alderson Memorial Bridge History
Originally called the "Joint County Bridge” when built in 1914, this bridge replaced an iron bridge built in 1882 at the same location. The original stone piers of the iron bridge are encased within the present concrete piers. In 1977, the West Virginia Department of Highways constructed a replacement bridge downstream. the citizens of Alderson recognized the beauty and continued importance of the old bridge as a community link and voted to have the town of Alderson assume ownership. The community then began its effort to preserve and restore this historic and picturesque landmark that reaches across the Greenbrier River to connect the Monroe and Greenbrier County portions of the community.
When designed and built under the direction of prominent West Virginia bridge engineer Frank Duff McEnteer and constructed by his firm, the Concrete Steel Bridge Company, this bridge was the longest earth filled reinforced concrete arch bridge in West Virginia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. A significant historical month for this entry is July 2005.
Location. 37° 43.533′ N, 80° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 N Monroe St, Alderson WV 24910, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenbrier County / Monroe County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alderson's Ferry (about 500 feet away); Alderson Baptist Academy and Junior College (approx. ¼ mile away); Reformatory for Women (approx. 0.4 miles away); Greenbrier County / Summers County (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Greenbrier (approx. 7 miles away); The Pavilion (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alderson.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 30 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 14, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.