Fieldsboro in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Borough of Fieldsboro
Delaware River Heritage Trail
Fieldsboro, incorporated in 1850, is the smallest municipality in Burlington County. Early land records identify the area as White Hill. One of its early settlers was Robert Field, who owned a wharf on the Delaware River, several businesses and a large farm.
By 1750, White Hill was a small river port. White Hill is also the name of the second Field home, a large brick manor house which overlooks the Delaware River. During the Revolutionary War, when British forces controlled Philadelphia, American frigates and gunboats were stranded here. General Washington ordered the American fleet burned to prevent the British from capturing it.
In 1804, entrepreneur Jonathan Rhea of Trenton purchased land from the Field estate, mapped out a town and began selling lots. His narrow alleys and closely spaced houses remain today. The area became known as White Hill Station when the Camden and Amboy, one of the nation's first railroads, arrived here in the 1830s. The C&A located its primary train shop, shipping wharf and repair facility between White Hill village and Black's Creek. Later in the centuries, including an iron works, were
In the mid-twentieth century, a naval scrap yard was located just south of Fieldsboro, near Newbold Island. The Grille, the enormous 443-foot state yacht of the Third Reich was scrapped here in 1951.
Iron works shipping dock at White Hill Station, c. 1880. Access to water and rail transportation and proximity to growing cities attracted many industries, including iron works, to the banks of the Delaware in the nineteenth century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington series list.
Location. 40° 8.185′ N, 74° 43.737′ W. Marker is in Fieldsboro, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street (County Road 622) and Washington Street, on the right when traveling west on 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 242 4th St, Bordentown NJ 08505, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fieldsboro Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Delaware: A National Treasure (approx. one mile away); Point Breeze (approx. one mile away); 19th Century Railroading in Bordentown (approx. one mile away); An Early Transportation Hub (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bordentown (approx. 1.1 miles away); Friends Meeting House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bordentown Female College (approx. 1.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.