Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Waynesboro, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Rife-Loth Dam

 
 
Rife-Loth Dam Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Wilson, November 8, 2020
1. Rife-Loth Dam Marker
Inscription.  The river bend 200 yards upstream is the site of the former Rife-Loth Dam. The dam was constructed of logs circa 1880 and produced power for the Ram Manufacturing Company using waterwheels. In the 1890s the waterwheels generated power for Waynesboro. In 1907 the log dam was destroyed by a flood and rebuilt of stone and concrete. Captain Richard Clemmer acquired the company in 1932 and eventually became Virginia Metal Crafters. The dam was removed in October 2011.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
 
Location. 38° 3.597′ N, 78° 53.972′ W. Marker is in Waynesboro, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Rife Road and Lyndhurst Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waynesboro VA 22980, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. W. J. Loth (approx. 0.4 miles away); Plumb House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fishburne Military School (approx. ¾ mile away); Waynesboro (approx. 0.8 miles away); William H. Harman Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Early’s Last Battle
Rife-Loth Dam Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Wilson, November 8, 2020
2. Rife-Loth Dam Marker
(approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Waynesboro (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ecology of the South River (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waynesboro.
 
The former Rife-Loth Dam image. Click for full size.
By Jim Wilson, March 4, 2011
3. The former Rife-Loth Dam
The Ram Works Condominium complex is in the background
The dam has since been removed for safety and maintenance reasons image. Click for full size.
By Jim Wilson, November 4, 2011
4. The dam has since been removed for safety and maintenance reasons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2020, by Jim Wilson of Waynesboro (Independent City), Virginia. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on November 15, 2020, by Jim Wilson of Waynesboro (Independent City), Virginia.   2. submitted on November 13, 2020, by Jim Wilson of Waynesboro (Independent City), Virginia.   3. submitted on March 10, 2011, by Jim Wilson of Waynesboro (Independent City), Virginia.   4. submitted on January 12, 2012, by Jim Wilson of Waynesboro (Independent City), Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Dec. 4, 2020