Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Tallassee in Elmore County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The First United Methodist Church of Tallassee

Founded 1853

 
 
The First United Methodist Church of Tallassee Marker (front) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 15, 2020
1. The First United Methodist Church of Tallassee Marker (front)
Inscription.  The history of this church encompasses the span of worldwide Methodism from the time of John Wesley to the present. A Methodist Society was organized in Tallassee in 1853 by 15 charter members who gathered in the "White Store," a mill company store located on Barnett Boulevard. The first church building was erected at the northwest end of King Street in 1854. Built by Archibald Patterson, it seated 450 and had a balcony for black members. The first minister was Harris Stearns. Another early preacher at this church was Anson West, author of Methodism in Alabama, who was followed by a long line of distinguished, scholarly pastors. The earliest reported marriage was that of W. A. Atkins to Matilda Jane Wilson on May 2, 1866. In 1898, an Upjohn-style church was built on King Street. Bishop Asa Candler dedicated this building, which was later used by Tallassee schools and burned in 1940. On June 26, 1926, members voted to construct the congregation's current brick church at 1 Jordan Avenue, and Opening Day, February 29, 1929, was presided over by Bishop Hoyt M. Dobbs.
(Continued on other side)

(Continued
The First United Methodist Church of Tallassee Marker (rear) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 15, 2020
2. The First United Methodist Church of Tallassee Marker (rear)
from other side)

The first funeral held in this church was that of Kate Burton Herren on January 14, 1929. The first wedding was that of W. Silas Mulder and Sarah Sasser. The church then was under the leadership of Exhorter, L.M. Lackey and Lay Leader, Merton Robinson. In 1936, Bishop John Lloyd Decell presided over the burning of the church mortgage. Rev. James E. Tate organized the 1953 Centennial Homecoming. The two-story Annex was built under the pastorate of Rev. Joe Ed Hastings, whose father, F.G. Hastings, had guided the construction of this church. The church bell is inscribed “Jones and Company, Troy, New York, 1855." What began as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, is now the First United Methodist Church of Tallassee. From 2004-2005, this church underwent a restoration under Shook Whorton of Montgomery, AL. In 2004, the Heritage Committee of the Alabama- West Florida Conference awarded the FUMC of Tallassee the Church Heritage Award. It was listed in the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 2003.

This information compiled by Olivia Pienezza Solomon
author of Our Bethel, a History of this Church

 
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location.
The First United Methodist Church of Tallassee & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 15, 2020
3. The First United Methodist Church of Tallassee & Marker
32° 32.175′ N, 85° 53.909′ W. Marker is in Tallassee, Alabama, in Elmore County. Marker is on Jordan Avenue near Barnett Boulevard (Alabama Route 14), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Jordan Ave, Tallassee AL 36078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brigadier General Birkett Davenport Fry, CSA / Tallassee Confederate Officers Quarters (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tallassee Armory (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tukabahchi (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tallassee Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tukabatchee / Tokvpvcce (approx. 4.2 miles away); Franklin's Educational Legacy (approx. 7.3 miles away); Site of Thaddeus Post Office (approx. 7.3 miles away); George Stiggins (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallassee.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021