Marshal W.G. Clucas Residence
48 W. Main
The original building at this location, constructed about 1890, was the residence of W.G. Clucas, Town Marshal of Cortez from 1910 to 1920.
During the 1920s, J.A. McCabe operated a store in the building from which he sold Raleigh products. The OK Cafe was located here during the 1930s. Frank Havran purchased the property in 1946 and established a dry cleaning business.
The building was originally frame construction and has undergone several renovations. Cement block with permastone facade was added during the 1940s. In 1948, the building was remodeled to its present day appearance.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 37° 20.926′ N, 108° 35.184′ W. Marker is in Cortez, Colorado, in Montezuma County. Marker is at the intersection of Chestnut Street and Main Street (U.S. 160), on the right when traveling north on Chestnut Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 48 West Main Street, Cortez CO 81321, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Citizens State Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Cortez Post Office
Also see . . .
1. History of Cortez CO. (Submitted on November 15, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historic Structures and Preservation in Cortez CO. (Submitted on November 15, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. History of Formstone & Permastone: Love It or Hate It. (The House History Man, 2012). (Submitted on November 16, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.