Near Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
In 1900, a display of the rare Aragonite Flos Ferri was awarded the Grand Prize at the Paris World's Fair.
Recognized by the State of California as a Point of Historical Interest on August 2, 1985.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Natural Features. A significant historical date for this entry is September 1, 1862.
Location. 38° 9.111′ N, 120° 28.768′ W. Marker is near Murphys, California, in Calaveras County. Marker can be reached from Sheep Ranch Road. Mercer Caverns is located one mile north of Murphys. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1665 Sheep Ranch Road, Murphys CA 95247, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Patrick's Catholic Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Compere Store (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of E.C.V. Saloon (approx. 1.2 The Heinsdorff Bakery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall (approx. 1.2 miles away); E Clampus Vitus (approx. 1.2 miles away); William Gordon Huff (approx. 1.2 miles away); Maj. James D. Savage (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphys.
More about this marker. The marker is by the cave entrance, and is visible from the parking lot.
Regarding Mercer Caverns. The cave was first used by the Yokut Indians as a mortuary cave, and then rediscovered some time later in 1885 by a gold prospector, Walter J. Mercer. Tours of the cave began almost immediately, with Mercer making improvements to make the cave more accessible. In 1888, while in the cave, Mercer fell some 30 feet, severely injuring his spine. He died 12 years later of complications from his fall. In 1946, the name of the cave was changed from New Calaveras Cave to Mercer Caverns. Tours are available, and go as deep as 160 feet below the surface.
Additional keywords. Caves
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 10, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 2,223 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 10, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.