Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Kalispell in Flathead County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Spafford House

East Side Historic District

 
 
Spafford House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 19, 2020
1. Spafford House Marker
Inscription.  A bird's-eye view of Kalispell drawn in 1897 shows this Colonial Revival style residence already in place on its prominent corner. The Kalispell Building and Loan Association likely built the home in 1895 when the company obtained title to the property. The first known resident was Dr. Arthur Burch, a local dentist, who lived with his family at this address by 1900. Attorney Mark B. Cornrow, a widower with two infant daughters, purchased the home in 1907. Louis Spafford, editor and manager of the Daily Inter Lake newspaper, was the next owner. Louis and his wife, Hilma, lived here for nearly fifty years and the Spafford family retained ownership until 1991. A rectangular plan, symmetrically balanced windows, pedimented entry with sidelights, and long shed-roofed dormers reflect the Colonial Revival style. Tucked into the landscape and framed by ample shade trees, this pleasant home exemplifies the East Side’s earliest period of development.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture
Spafford House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 19, 2020
2. Spafford House Marker
The marker is on the porch.
Communications. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
 
Location. 48° 11.707′ N, 114° 18.196′ W. Marker is in Kalispell, Montana, in Flathead County. Marker is on 6th Avenue East near 5th Street East, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 504 6th Avenue East, Kalispell MT 59901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elliot House (here, next to this marker); Ross House (a few steps from this marker); Sliter House (a few steps from this marker); McKeown/Braunberger House (within shouting distance of this marker); Conrad/Tobie House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Conrad/Tobie House (about 300 feet away); F.W. Cole House (about 300 feet away); Phillips House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kalispell.
 
Also see . . .  Spafford House -- Flathead Beacon. Building a home on the corner of Fifth St. E. and Sixth Ave. E. in 1895 was a bit like building a home in the country nowadays. OK, at least on the outskirts of town. As the name implies, the Kalispell Building and Loan Association bought the lot and “improved”
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
upon it by building a home (which often increased profits quite handsomely). Such was likely the case when the home was built in 1895, a time when a horse and buggy wasn’t a nicety, but a necessity to traverse the muddy streets of Kalispell, particularly in the spring.
(Submitted on November 16, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021