Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Junction's First Waterworks
(Point of origin 3/10 mi. SE)
Predecessor of present city waterworks. Supplied water to homes and furnished power to run grist mill, cotton gin, and sawmill. Business leader Ernest Holekamp had canal dug in 1895, beginning at South Llano River. 1/2 mile south of courthouse.
Average bottom width was 6 feet, with depth of water from 3 to 4 feet. The system, named Junction City Milling Company changed hands 6 times. It was purchased by city in 1928.
Holekamp, who came to city in 1881, was first president of Kimble County State Bank and first mayor of Junction in 1927.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2697.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 30° 29.233′ N, 99° 45.909′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is at the intersection of Oak Street and South 5th Street, on the left when traveling west on Oak Street. The marker is located just behind a chain linked fence on the northwest Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Post Office (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Junction (about 500 feet away); Site of First Livery Stable (about 500 feet away); Captain Russell Keith Fleming (about 500 feet away); Private First Class Whitt L. Moreland (about 600 feet away); Burt M. Fleming (about 600 feet away); Old Rock Store, 1879 (about 600 feet away); O.C. Fisher (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Also see . . . Junction Texas. Wikipedia (Submitted on November 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.