Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Smithville in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Young School House and Cemetery

 
 
Young School House and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, November 17, 2020
1. Young School House and Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  In 1872, area pioneer John P. Young (1829-1906) donated two acres of his land for a community school and cemetery. The earliest marked grave, that of W. T. Sanders, is dated 1874. Since then, the cemetery has been used primarily by area settlers and their descendants.

Shortly after the land was donated, community leaders opened a five-month term school, which was named in honor of John Young. With the help of carpenter Samuel D. Sanford, this schoolhouse was constructed in 1872 of hand-hewn pine logs. Young School closed in 1907 when the rail line was laid through the Upton community (3 mi. N.), and a larger school was established there.

Although no longer in use as a schoolhouse, the building has been maintained as a community center and has been the site of worship services for several area congregations. Young School House Baptist Church, whose roots date to 1910, continues to worship at the site. The building has been moved twice to make room for more cemetery plots.

Much of the history of this part of Bastrop County revolves around Young School House and Cemetery, each of which has been in use for more than
Young School House and Cemetery Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, November 17, 2020
2. Young School House and Cemetery Marker Area
100 years.
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9242.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionEducation.
 
Location. 29° 59.314′ N, 97° 16.51′ W. Marker is near Smithville, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is on Young School House Road (County Road 280) west of Easley Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Smithville TX 78957, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stephen Scallorn (approx. 1.7 miles away); Chancellor House (approx. 7 miles away); Smithville (approx. 7.1 miles away); First Methodist Church of Smithville (approx. 7.2 miles away); Rabb House (approx. 7˝ miles away); Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop (approx. 8.4 miles away); Primera Baptist Church (approx. 8.4 miles away); The Gotier Trace (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smithville.
 
Young School House Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, November 17, 2020
3. Young School House Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021