Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Luckenbach in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Luckenbach School

 
 
Luckenbach School Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 26, 2020
1. Luckenbach School Marker
Inscription.  

In 1855 Pioneer area settler Peter Pehl deeded a two-acre tract of land at this site for the construction of a schoolhouse to serve the Luckenbach School District, Herman Toepperwein was the first teacher in the log building which was used until 1905 when the present native limestone schoolhouse was completed. The Luckenbach School remained in operation until 1964, when it was consolidated with the Fredericksburg District.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10075.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
 
Location. 30° 11.086′ N, 98° 45.259′ W. Marker is near Luckenbach, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on Luckenbach Road ¼ mile north of Farm to Market Road 1376, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3566 Luckenbach Road, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Engel Family (approx. 0.3 miles away); Luckenbach (approx. 0.4 miles away);
Luckenbach School and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 26, 2020
2. Luckenbach School and Marker
Lower South Grape Creek School (approx. 3.1 miles away); General E. Kirby Smith, C.S.A. (approx. 3.3 miles away); Pinta Trail (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Grapetown School (approx. 4.6 miles away); Ferdinand Hohenberger Farmstead (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Easter Fires (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Luckenbach.
 
Regarding Luckenbach School. First log schoolhouse 1855 with native limestone addition 1881. A new limestone school built in 1905. Limestone teacherage 1860s. Consolidated in 1964. An old-fashioned school bell summoned the children to class at 9 AM. Boys lined up on the left and girls on the right to enter the one room schoolhouse for grades 1st to 8th where older students helped the younger ones with grammar and math. During recess children played games such as Andy-over, Stink Base, Dodge, Drop the hankie, and Kick the can. At 4 PM, the older boys had to bring in firewood for the stove and the girls swept the floor. First graders were responsible for cleaning the erasers.
Source: Gillespie County Country Schools Driving Trail
 
Also see . . .
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.

1. Luckenbach, Texas History. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 18, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

2. Gillespie County Country Schools Driving Trail. The Friends of Gillespie County Country Schools (Submitted on November 19, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 6, 2021