Center in Shelby County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of Center
Formed in 1856, this congregation is one of the oldest in Shelby County. Mr. and Mrs. T.H. Day, Mr. and Mrs. George King, Major and Mrs. Alfred Truitt, Mr. and Mrs. Leggett, P.F. Southern, Council Billingsley, Alfred Padon, W.S. Dabney, and George Weaver were among its founders. Services were held in a house in Pleasant Grove community until a church building was erected in 1886. Initially led by lay members, the church called the Rev. W.L. Morrow as its first Pastor (1893). Built in 1905, the present sanctuary was moved to this site in 1930. In the fellowship now are several descendants of charter members.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7681.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 47.78′ N, 94° 10.788′ W. Marker is in Center, Texas, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Cora Street and Pecan Street, on the left when traveling north on Cora Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 Cora Street, Center TX 75935, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Shelby County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Joseph Emmett Gibson (about 700 feet away); C.S.A. Texas Muster (about 800 feet away); Shelby County (about 800 feet away); Poultry Pioneers Plaza (approx. 1.1 miles away); Martin McCoy Middleton (approx. 1.1 miles away); Malcolm S. Weaver (approx. 1.1 miles away); Luke (Jack) Motley, Jr. (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 23 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 21, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.