Schroder Store / Coulson Bros.
Bayfield Historic Walking Tour Stop 7
64 W. Mill Street
(Second from left)
The November 7, 1901 Durango Democrat reported that H. C. "Schroeder" was building a new storehouse in Bayfield; this is the west half of this building. Between 1910 and 1919, additions were constructed on the east and south sides of the building, more than doubling its size and giving the building the shape it would retain for more than 90 years. The Sanborn fire maps of 1910 and 1919 each indicate that the building had adobe filled walls, one of which can be seen in a 1907 photo of the original building.
Coulson Bros. / Telephone Exchange
105 W. Mill Street
(Second from right)
This property was part of a half block upon which the Coulson family established their lumber and feed operation. After several years operating as an office or small storefront, the building was converted to host the town's first telephone exchange, a use that lasted from August 1910 until about 1940. The exchange then moved east two blocks to a larger building, the original Newland house.
95 W. Mill Street
The Arnold Trading
Photo circa 1907
Erected 2009 by Town of Bayfield and Colorado Historical Society. (Marker Number 7.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is November 7, 1901.
Location. 37° 13.513′ N, 107° 36.069′ W. Marker is in Bayfield, Colorado, in La Plata County. Marker is on Mill Street east of Pine Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 64 West Mill Street, Bayfield CO 81122, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hotel Central & Akers Motor Co. Garage (a few steps from this marker); H.C. Schroder House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bayfield Drug Store
Also see . . .
1. Historic Bayfield CO Photos. Gunnison County Library entry (Submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Pine River Valley Heritage Society. Society webpage (Submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.