Hotel Central & Akers Motor Co. Garage
Bayfield Historic Walking Tour Stop 9
57 W. Mill Street
The August 3, 1911 edition of the Bayfield Blade reported the completion of the "Hotel Central." This photo shows the building originally had wood clapboard siding, a wood shingle roof, and a covered first-floor front porch. By the 1940s the exterior was stuccoed, and the roof was asphalt shingles; a two-story porch later replaced the original single story porch.
Akers Motor Co. Garage
17 W. Mill Street
This building was constructed during the spring and summer of 1920; it is a reconstruction of an earlier building that was destroyed by fire on January 1, 1920. The building originally operated as Akers Garage and, on the second floor, as a community meeting and recreation hall. The building appears much as it did when originally constructed in the early twentieth century.
Photo circa 1922
Erected 2009 by Town of Bayfield and Colorado Historical Society. (Marker Number 9.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is August 3, 1911.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Schroder Store / Coulson Bros. (a few steps from this marker); H.C. Schroder House (a few steps from this marker); Bayfield Drug Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Farmers & Merchant[s] Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Glenn Bros General Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newland House and Presbyterian Manse (about 400 feet away); Bayfield Churches (about 400 feet away); Florida River Railroad Bridge No. 437 (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bayfield.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Bayfield CO Photos. Gunnison County Library entry (Submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Pine River Valley Heritage Society. Society website (Submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.