Calvary Presbyterian Church of Pine River, Union Church, Free Methodist Church
— Bayfield Walking Tour Stop 4 —
Calvary Presbyterian Church of Pine River
89 E. Mill Street
Ground was broken for the foundation of the church on April 16, 1898; the building was first used for services eleven months later, on March 15, 1899. The lots were donated by W. A. Bay. Lumber for the church was obtained at the Graden saw mill, on Beaver Creek, and was primarily hauled by the Belgian draft horses of William Bay. S. B. Edwards was in charge of construction. The church-bell was purchased in 1906 for the price of $40. During 1940-41, a one-story annex and kitchen were added to the north side of the building. By 1953, increased membership and enrollment in Sunday school classes justified the building of a two-story addition, with basement, to the west side of the church. The new wing featured five classrooms on the second floor; the first floor contained the pastor's study, another classroom, and a large area off the Sanctuary for expanded seating.
80 E. Mill Street
The Union Church of Bayfield was incorporated on July 22, 1901. Resources indicate that this building was constructed around 1901 or 1902. The original steeple
Free Methodist Church
97 W. North Street
(2 blocks west; 1 block north)
The Free Methodist Congregation was first organized in 1897, a few miles north of current Bayfield, and then in February 1901, they moved into the town proper. Evidence suggests that members of the Free Methodist Church constructed this building between February and June of 1901; the congregation continued to own the building until 1992.
Presbyterian Church Photo circa 1920
Union Church Photo circa 1950
Methodist Church Photo circa 2008
Erected 2009 by Town of Bayfield and Colorado Historical Society. (Marker Number 4.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 13.514′ N, 107° 35.986′ W. Marker is in Bayfield, Colorado, in La Plata County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling east on Mill Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 80 East Mill Street, Bayfield CO 81122, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newland House and Presbyterian Manse
Also see . . .
1. Calvary Presbyterian Church of Bayfield CO. (Submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historic Bayfield CO Photos from Gunnison County Library. (Submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Pine River Valley Heritage Society. (Submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. A look at future of Bayfield’s past (Durango Herald, 2014). (Submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 21 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 21, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.