Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Niles in Berrien County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Saint Mary’s

 
 
Saint Mary's Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, July 10, 2007
1. Saint Mary's Marker
Inscription.  The Roman Catholic Church in Niles traces its origin to the Indian Mission established at nearby Fort St. Joseph in the late 1600’s. Reestablished at Bertrand, three miles south of Niles, in the 1830s, the mission moved into town in 1849 and was renamed St. Francis’s. In 1866 the cornerstone of the present building was laid and on December 11, 1870, the church was dedicated to St. Mary. Designed by Rufus Rose of Niles with later modifications by Father John Cappon, the church was completed in 1890 with the construction of the gothic tower. Father Cappon, known as the “parish’s greatest benefactor,” was a Belgian-born priest who served as pastor for over thirty years. He gave generously of his large personal estate for many parish improvements.
 
Erected 1971. (Marker Number S0344.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1839.
 
Location. 41° 49.507′ N, 86° 15.824′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Niles, Michigan, in Berrien County. Marker is on South Lincoln Avenue (Business U.S. 12) near Clay Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 South Lincoln, Niles MI 49120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. PA-WA-TING (approx. 0.3 miles away); Parrott Civil War Cannon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Niles Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); John B. Reddick Building (approx. half a mile away); Ring Lardner (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niles.
 
Saint Mary's Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, July 10, 2007
2. Saint Mary's Marker
Saint Mary's Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, July 10, 2007
3. Saint Mary's Church
Saint Mary's image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, July 10, 2007
4. Saint Mary's
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,763 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 10, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1606

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024