Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Kalispell in Flathead County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Peterson House

East Side Historic District

 
 
Peterson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 20, 2020
1. Peterson House Marker
Inscription.  Self-styled capitalist Olaf Peterson and his wife Johanna, both Swedish immigrants, built this sturdy two-story home circa 1896. It was the first home constructed on the block. While other neighborhood homes are of frame construction, this residence is of brick. Oddly, several of its former owners were in the timber business. Timber dealer George Millet purchased the home from the Petersons in 1908. Pacific Northwest lumberman Julius Neils of Portland was the next owner. Neils sent his son-in-law, Harry Schocknecht, to Kalispell to establish lumberyards in Montana. The Schocknechts occupied the home until 1915. Logging contractor Thomas Gardner and his family were residents during the 1920s. Dr. Ralph Towne and his wife, Marie, made their home here from 1936 to 1967. The home then served as parish house for the nearby Trinity Lutheran Church. At some time in its more recent history, preeminent Kalispell architect Fred Brinkman designed the newer windows, but the nineteenth-century residence retains much of its historic fabric. A complex plan and orange-red brick softened by mature landscaping make this a distinctive neighborhood landmark.
 
Erected by
Peterson House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 20, 2020
2. Peterson House and Marker
Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
 
Location. 48° 11.624′ N, 114° 18.348′ W. Marker is in Kalispell, Montana, in Flathead County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Avenue East and 6th Street East, on the right when traveling south on 4th Avenue East. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 604 4th Avenue East, Kalispell MT 59901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gilbert Gilbertson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Albert Brassett Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); 520 Fourth Avenue East (within shouting distance of this marker); McIntosh House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Madison S. Love Residence (about 300 feet away); Houston/Parker House (about 400 feet away); Agather House (about 400 feet away); 504 Fourth Avenue East (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kalispell.
 
Also see . . .  Peterson House -- Flathead Beacon. Aside from standing as an ironic brick residence for those in the lumber industry, the home also briefly served
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
as a parish house for the Trinity Lutheran Church in the neighborhood. And it was also the residence of Dr. Ralph Towne and his wife Marie from 1936 until 1967.
(Submitted on November 24, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 24, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021