Dayton in Lyon County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Dayton, Sutro & Carson Valley Railroad
On July 11, 1881, Engine No. 1, the “Ernie Birdsall,” first ran on a 3 foot gauge line which had been extended to 2 miles. The mill and railroad were sold to Joe Douglass in April 1882. The line was run beyond Sutro to the Carson Valley Mill Tailings and operated until about 1897.
Erected 1981 by Julia C. Bulette Chapter 1864, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 39° 14.15′ N, 119° 35.509′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Nevada, in Lyon County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street and Shady Lane, on the left when traveling west. Marker is mounted on the northeast corner of the Dayton Township Justice Court building. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nevada’s First Gold Discovery (here, next to this marker); Hall's Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Nevada Added Station (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Hotel & Post Office (about 400 feet away); Odeon Saloon - Billiard Parlour (about 400 feet away); Where Nevada Began (about 500 feet away); The Road to Nowhere (about 600 feet away); Carson & Colorado Railroad (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Also see . . .
1. The Dayton, Sutro & Carson Valley Railroad. The railroad was built to efficiently move ore from tailing piles in the foothills to a company stamp mill in Dayton. It started as a horse-drawn railway, then later upgraded to steam locomotives, although its roster of equipment was always quite small. The exact date that operations shut down is not known, but production at the mill tapered off in the last few years of the century, and it might have closed as early as 1896. (Submitted on November 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Dayton, Sutro & Carson Valley Railroad. In May of 1869 Birdsall hand-built a horse-drawn railway to transport the ore the half-mile from the tailing pile to his mill. The railroad tracks were made out of half inch strap iron placed on top of 4x6 lumber, but it was very effective at moving the horse-drawn carts and production at the mill skyrocketed to over 50,000 tons per year. (Submitted on November 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. The Dayton, Sutro and Carson Valley Railroad Opinion. (link presents photos of the Joe. Douglass locomotive) In the 19th century, “Carson Valley” referred to the Carson River valleys and canyons extending all the way from today’s Carson Valley in Douglas County through Churchill Canyon east of Dayton. From humble beginnings, the Dayton, Sutro and Carson Valley Railroad eventually went from old town Dayton to the Carson Valley Mill, which was located in Dayton Valley. (Submitted on November 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.