Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Pigeon in Huron County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Pigeon Depot

 
 
Pigeon Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, June 28, 2020
1. Pigeon Depot Marker
Inscription.  The Pigeon Depot was constructed in 1908 and served two railroad lines. In 1883 the Pontiac, Oxford and Port Austin Railroad, a north-south line, had been extended to Caseville and a depot was built at Berne, one mile north of here. Around 1886 the Saginaw, Tuscola and Huron Railroad built tracks through the Tamarack Swamp and crossed the north-south line at this point. This railroad stop became known as Berne Junction. Berne’s population quickly dwindled as people moved to the junction where they established Pigeon in 1888. The Pontiac, Oxford and Port Austin line became the Pontiac, Oxford and Northern and later the Grand Trunk Railroad. The Saginaw, Tuscola and Huron was absorbed by the Pere Marquette Railroad and then by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad. The Pigeon Depot presently serves as the Pigeon Historical Society Museum.
 
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1439A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included
Pigeon Historical Museum image. Click for full size.
By John Garman, June 28, 2020
2. Pigeon Historical Museum
View looking east up the tracks with the Pigeon Depot on the left. The Marker can be seen on the far left side of the building.
in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 43° 49.738′ N, 83° 16.176′ W. Marker is in Pigeon, Michigan, in Huron County. Marker is on South Main Street (Michigan Route 142) 0.1 miles south of Michigan Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Located on the west facing wall of the Pigeon Historical Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 59 S Main St, Pigeon MI 48755, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stagecoaches (approx. 5.3 miles away); Great Fire of 1881 (approx. 5.4 miles away); Bay Port Fishing District (approx. 5˝ miles away); Owendale (approx. 6.9 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 8 miles away); John C. Liken / John C. Martini House (approx. 11 miles away); The Indian Mission (approx. 11.2 miles away); Sebewaing Township Hall (approx. 11.3 miles away).
 
Pigeon Depot and Historical Marker (left side of image) image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, June 28, 2020
3. Pigeon Depot and Historical Marker (left side of image)
Looking West image. Click for full size.
By John Garman, June 28, 2020
4. Looking West
The former Saginaw, Tuscola and Huron Railroad. The crossing at Main Street can be seen in the distance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 24, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021