Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
A. J. Stevens Monument
[Front of Monument:]
[Inscription on West Side of Monument:]
[Inscription on Back of Monument:]
Erected 1889 by His Co-Workers, November 28, 1889.
Topics. This historical marker monument is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 38° 34.841′ N, 121° 29.644′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker can be reached from "J" Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old City Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Young America Engine Co. No. 6 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tony's Corner (about 500 feet away); Sa’ Cumn’e Plaza (about 500 feet away); United States Post Office, Courthouse, & Federal Building (about 600 feet away); Williams House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bishop Alfonso Gallegos (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneer Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
Also see . . .
1. Andrew Jackson “A.J” Stevens (1833-1888) – Builder of Locomotives. A.J. Stevens was born in Vermont Sep. 14, 1833. In 1869 he was hired by Leland Stanford, President of Central Pacific (parent organization of Southern Pacific) as Master Mechanic. He was responsible for many locomotive inventions until his death in 1888. (Submitted on March 26, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
2. Andrew J. Stevens Biography. A biography transcribed by Vicky Walker from the publication An Illustrated History of Sacramento County, Pages 797-798, Published by Lewis Publishing Company, 1890. (Submitted on March 26, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
A.J. Stevens was the master mechanic for the Southern Pacific Railroad. The sculpture was erected by his coworkers. An estimated twelve thousand attended the dedication ceremony, with Governor Waterman and Mayor Gregory in attendance. - 1889.
The sculpture was done by Sculptor Albert Weinert (1863-1948), and dedicated on November 28, 1889. It is owned and maintained by the City of Sacramento, City Parks and Recreation.
— Submitted March 26, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,884 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on November 25, 2020. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 26, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.