San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Guadalupe Elementary School
In 1923, due to the cooperative efforts of Mexican American parents and Mrs. Ginevra Wood Carson (1872-1958), the district opened a new brick building with four classrooms and modern facilities later known as Guadalupe Elementary School. During the Depression, Mrs. Josefa Camuñez (1884-1972) opened her closed grocery store as a temporary cafeteria for Guadalupe students. In 1938 a clinic, an office and two more classrooms were added. By 1940 a kitchen was in operation at the school
The San Angelo Independent School District was integrated in 1955 and Guadalupe School closed in 1959. Since that time, the structure has housed several community and civic programs such as "Head Start" and adult education. The Guadalupe Alumni(ae) Association was formed in 1992.
Supplemental Plate: Roberta Parks (1892 - 1988) was Guadalupe School's first teacher and principal from 1923 to 1943 . Lulac Chapter # 637 sponsored the above marker.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12230.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Hispanic Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 31° 28.264′ N, 100° 26.824′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is at the intersection of Martin Luther King Drive and West 11th Street, on the right when traveling north on Martin Luther King Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 Martin Luther King Drive, San Angelo TX 76903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Immanuel Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); City Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Emmanuel Episcopal Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); The San Angelo Standard (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tom Green County Courthouse (approx. ¾ mile away); Charles B. Metcalfe (approx. ¾ mile away); Crew of "Abbot 27" (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.