This monument is placed here to preserve the important history of the start of the whole San Luis Valley, by the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad's entrance to Alamosa.
The work train arrived in Alamosa in late 1877, and the first passenger train arrived at this spot on July 4, 1878. The depot was completed in 1893, but was completely destroyed by fire on December 25, 1907. The new depot, built of brick was completed in October 1909 at a cost of $17,500.00. Amazingly after almost 100 years, the building still exists today, with remodeling to fit Alamosa County's needs.
In 1897 standard gauge rails came in and then Alamosa began to grow. It became the narrow gauge capital of the world. As many as six passenger trains left Alamosa daily, with the main train being on route to Denver, including an occasional train to Pueblo. There were daily trains that traveled to Salida, Gunnison North, Durango, Farmington, Santa Fe, and also to Creede. Several freight trains also left each week to all points. Travelers could go by coach, or take a night Pullman to Denver. It contained a baggage coach and a U.S. Post Office to dispatch mail, though the
Alamosa was the service point of all of Southwestern Colorado and Northern New Mexico. At one time, over 2,000 employees worked in the railroad shops building cars and coaches and also assembling the steam engines. The railroad was at its peak in the 1920's and the 1930's and this particular site contains history beyond our knowledge.
Always interested in seeing future generations keep this history alive, this monument is to preserve the history of early Alamosa. This was made possible through the efforts of Lloyd E. Jones.
Erected 1999 by Lloyd E. Jones.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 28′ N, 105° 51.904′ W. Marker is in Alamosa, Colorado, in Alamosa County. Marker is at the intersection of State Avenue and the railroad tracks, on the right when traveling north on State Avenue. The depot is currently the home of the Alamosa Visitor Information/Colorado Welcome Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 State Avenue, Alamosa CO 81101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least American National Bank Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Emperius Building (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Legion Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alamosa (approx. ¼ mile away); Adams State College (approx. ¼ mile away); Alamosa County (approx. ¼ mile away); All Aboard for Alamosa! (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alamosa.
Also see . . .
1. Alamosa History and Heritage. City webpage (Submitted on November 25, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Rio Grand Scenic Railroad (now defunct). Wikipedia entry (Submitted on November 25, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 25, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.