Avery in Red River County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Avery Methodist Church
The Douglas Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized in 1896. A one-room frame church building with a steeple and belfry was constructed, and shared with other denominations. It was also used as a school until 1901. The town of Douglas was renamed Avery in 1902. The Avery Methodist Church was a mission church for many years. A Sunday School youth group, and women's missionary society were organized. The church achieved full-station status in 1950. Several building facilities were added over the years. This active church has served the community for over 100 years.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10864.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 33° 33.003′ N, 94° 46.967′ W. Marker is in Avery, Texas, in Red River County. Marker is at the intersection of North Houston Avenue and West Alabama Avenue, on the left when traveling south on North Houston Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Warthan Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); De Kalb (approx. 9.8 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 9.9 miles away); Dalby Springs Methodist Church (approx. 13.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.